Monday, July 23, 2007

Crossing another milestone. Grudgingly.

There was a time, not too long ago, when I would read Archie comics and think, “Someday, I’m gonna be doing the exact same things”. I was really looking forward to the teenage years, and all the rebellion and fun that came along. One fine day, I woke up and found myself having grown past the teens, without really passing through it. The rebellious streak, the fun and frolic, the dangerous lifestyle- I never saw that in my teens.

As I was struggling to come to terms with the situation, I started empathizing with the “20 something” characters, usually portrayed as a combination of a career-oriented professional and a social butterfly. For a brief while, I thought I was living that character. But, something always seemed amiss. The experience was good, but it never seemed complete. The proverbial “20 somethings” were always more successful, had better social skills, were in more interesting professions etc.

By the time I decided that my life needed a serious revamp, I was almost running on empty tank. My membership in the exclusive “20 something” club had almost expired. But mentally, I wouldn’t give up, or give in. I would invariably relate to every youth story, be it in the movies or the books. I would always count myself in the “20 something” club, as one of its most ardent and active members. I desperately tried to hold on to it, but it simply kept slipping away.

In a couple of days’ time, my membership will come up for review. Unfortunately for me, there is no policy of renewal. As I count my last couple of days among the elite company, I reminisce some of the most memorable days of my youth. I am also trying to come to terms with the fact that in a country that boasts of a majority youth population, I will be relegated to the minority.

The spirit is definitely willing, but the flesh is surely weaker. And it shows. Of course, in my defense, age is, afterall, a question of mind over matter.
As long as I don’t mind, it shouldn’t matter.
On that happy note, signing off.

18 till I Die, Gonna be 18 till I Die,
Feels so good, to be alive, 18 till I Die,
Someday I’ll be 18, going on 65,
18 till I Die, Gonna be 18 till I Die


God bless Bryan Adams for giving me my song. Amen.

2 comments:

Maverick said...

Leonhartzz,I still have not got used to seeing that new digit in the tenths position of my age. To be frank, until two months back, I never noticed that my age was published in so many places. I would have thought I'd get used to it now. When I joined the current workplace, I was on the lower side of average age of employees in this 'young' company. Five years later, I am on the higher side of the average age, despite the fact that the average age here has only been rising. Everytime I think about the running meter, I am tantalised by "The time is gone, the song is over, Thought I'd something more to say..."
(ending words of 'Time' by Pink Floyd). Wishing you a very happy two-days-from-now!

By the way, are you planning to attend Bhandu's wedding reception this Wednesday? I will try my best to be there.

Kiran said...

@Maverick: It sure feels awkward to have everyone look upto you as a senior statesman, when deep down, you are still blooming :)
I didnt realize tomorrow is Bhandu's reception...will be there for sure.