Monday, July 23, 2007

B-school Interview Tips

Location: Interview Room at ISB, Hyderabad
Scene: Top IT MNC (Firm X) conducting placement interviews
Characters: Top honcho (code name Wolf) from Strategy Consulting Division at Firm X, prospective candidate (code name Leo)

Wolf: Good Morning Leo, I see you have a very impressive CV
Leo: Good Morning, and thanks
Wolf: First up, let me clarify that we don’t really do pure-play strategy consulting. We only do the IT strategy. So don’t expect us to do what a McK or BCG would do.
Leo: (thinking to himself “tell me something I don’t know”) Yes, I understand
Wolf: Leo, I see you have worked with Firm X before you came to B-school. And you have been there longer than I have. That’s good to know

Leo: (Beaming with pride) Well, yes. I have had a really good stint at Firm X, and look forward to getting back real soon.
Wolf: Well, since you’re an ex-employee, I won’t have to explain how we work as an organization. That’s good. But at the same time, I can’t sell you the organization as I would for other candidates because you know us too well. That’s not too good.
Leo: (confused and muttering to himself “WTF”)
Wolf: I don’t think an interview is needed here. Let me quickly make you an offer. I am willing to pay you Rs.## per annum. How does that sound?
Leo: (Too shocked to respond) Umm, was that per annum? Or are you sure?
Wolf: Since you are an ex-employee, I wanted to give you a better deal. So yes, it is per annum. You must be surprised!
Leo: (Slowly recovering from the shock) Well, I am surprised, yes. Shocked, however, would be a more apt word.
Wolf: (muttering to himself)
Leo: My peers in the organization, even without an MBA, are earning more than what you just offered me. If I had simply stayed back, I am sure I would have got an offer higher than Rs.##
Wolf: (Clearly offended at Leo’s impudence) Well, your past experience doesn’t really match the job that you have applied for. So I don’t see why I should pay you any more that what I offered.
Leo: Well, the MBA is exactly intended for that. So that I could get into different roles than what I was previously doing. Anyways, during the PPT, the minimum salary announced was higher than what you just offered. And that was for a fresher.
Wolf: (Irritated and agitated) Whoever did that PPT has no idea about my division. He can say what he wants, but this is my offer. For someone with no ERP experience, I don’t see why I should pay you for your experience.
Leo: Because I haven’t applied for the role of an ERP Consultant. That interview is happening in the adjacent room. This was supposed to be for Strategy Consulting, and I am here for you to interview me on my Strategy Consulting skills. So why don’t you go ahead and interview me instead?
Wolf: I don’t need to interview you. I know there are dozens of people who have worked in companies like TCS, Wipro, Infy etc who’d give an arm and more to work with us, just to get the Firm X brand on the CVs.
Leo: Well, all I can say is, all the best to you.
Wolf: So what’s your final decision?
Leo: Thanks but no thanks.
Wolf: Wait, let me add an extra 1 lakh joining bonus. Now, you can’t refuse.
Leo: I am flattered, but I don’t want to keep you from those “dozens of eager people”. So the answer is NO.
Wolf: Alright, I know I will loose a few good guys, but I am ok with it because I know there are a lot of people out there waiting to join us. And it’s still early in the day.
Leo: Goodbye

Moral of the story: Loyalty is for the dogs. Especially in IT.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Entertaining!!

Would have been more fun if Firm X and Rs.XX were not under wraps