Monday, February 20, 2006

Valentine's Day

P.S. This post was written on Feb 15th, but has been posted on Feb 20th.

It was Valentine's Day yesterday. And I managed to pick up a rose for my wife just before I went home at 930 PM. Luckily for me, she didn’t seem too upset by my late ways. In fact, it appears that she has given up on me.

That was my V-day. But the rest of the country seems to have woken up to love in a really big way.
The V-day festivities begin in early February, and linger on till the end of the month. Barista and Cafe Coffee Day outlets seem to be in a competition to outdo each other in ushering in the spirit of St.Valentine.

Last weekend, the waiter at Barista tried every clichéd trick in his book of marketing to sell my friend and me one of those mushy stuffed teddy toys to gift our girlfriends on Valentine's Day. We put up a brave front, and refused him every single time. But he kept coming back with more and better offers. Due to his insisting, my friend decided to buy it for his girlfriend.

After scanning through the variety of stuffed toys on display, he finally decided to buy the huge cute teddy that adorned the top shelf.

My friend walked up to the waiter and asked him
So you think that huge Teddy would make a perfect Valentine's Day gift?".

The waiter smiled.
"Sir, I can assure you that you will receive VIP Treatment from madam on V-day if you give her this gift".

My friend was convinced. He asked the waiter to wrap the gift in mushy colors and lace befitting the Valentine's Day spirit. Just when he was about to pay up, he noticed another small, little teddy thrown away in a corner.

"How much for that little teddy?" he asked.

"Sir, that one's been discarded since it is too dirty. But if you like it, I will give it to you as a free compliment" the waiter offered.

"Great. Wrap that one too, and stick a message saying 'To my dear wife'. I don't want her feeling left out on Valentine's Day"

My friend must have had a blast yesterday. I called him at home last night, but his wife told me he hadn’t yet come back from work. I asked her if she got the Big Teddy or the small one.
She just said
"You mean there was a Big Teddy? That b@#$*#".

I am yet to hear from him about how his Valentine's Day went.
But I am sure he had a Blast.

No comments: