Sunday, April 23, 2006

To Blog or not to Blog

The blogging community at ISB have had a couple of meetings already. I have, not surprisingly, missed all of them. As much as I would like to be a part of the official ISB blog, the idea of a censored blog does not quite appeal to me. Also, I am told that one needs to continuously keep churning out posts after posts to keep the blog ticking. Unfortunately, I have a very rigid mind, which at times, refuses to budge from its position of non-creativity. And during such phases, I strictly stay away from blogging.
If I were a more serious and even slightly credible writer, I could even have called my condition “Writer’s Block”.
Coming back to the point about censored blogs, the very spirit of blogging lies in the fact that you write what you chose. If I had to write based on topics that someone else chooses or approves, and also adhere to certain guidelines on the content and structure, then I would have become a scribe instead.
Blogging, for me, is strictly personal, and is totally in my own creative control. Maybe, I could write an article or two for the ISB blogs as a guest columnist, if there is such a provision.

5 comments:

Ford Prefect said...

I know exactly how you feel ... The issue of censorship cropped up with our batch too ... I do believe it is against the very spirit of blogging , but then again I believe all the bloggers in a campus have a responsibility they cant shrug away from. Public domains are not to vent out your personal frustrations against people or the institution... I remember the email in yahoo group which was circulating during our placements supposedly from someone of our batch... A good example of how negative things can be blown out of proportions... Given that blogs are the biggest source of information for perspective students , I think you guys have been doing a splendid job...
My 2 cents ... but then again , being an alum gives me the right to come here uninvited and give gyaan doesnt it ;-) ..

Kiran said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kiran said...

Ford: I know what you mean. One has to tread that fine line between being a blogger and being part of an institution like ISB very carefully. I do agree that venting frustrations against the institution can harm both the institution and our own future since this is a public forum. However, as a neutral blogger, it is also one's responsibility to speak the truth, which at times, might conflict the institution's interests. It is this dilemma that makes me wonder if it is such a good idea to "sell out" in the name of affiliation to the institution.

Ford Prefect said...

Dude ... Its NEVER a good idea to Sell out... In fact what gives information on blogs more credibility than that available on official sites is this very neutral nature you are talking about ...
Good to see guys from your batch take blogging so seriously so as to have a bloggers meet ;-) .. But do remember at the end of the day , youll only blog if you have fun doing so ... censorship or no sensorship ...
So have fun , be creative and keep us all posted on whats happening inside the simulation (I just refuse to call that place real .. its a simulation u run for a year in fantesia)

Sabyasachi said...

Kiran.. I completely agree with Fordperfect. Nothing in this world is 100% ideal and carrying a neutral aspect with certain amount of responsibility helps.... And ISB is a mix of so many things.. so many good things.
Moreover frustration is a momentary stage of human mind. And it should not be brought out to the exterior world in an irresponsible manner. For instance, I had a friend in last years batch who was momentarily frustrated during the placement season, but once the season was over, things turned out to be pretty good for him.
Exposure of momentary frustration can be disastrous and later we keep wondering "what made us behave like a child that time"... thats true about life and ISB is now a part of our life.