Wednesday, March 01, 2006

To ISB or US-B ?

The scales have almost completely titled in favor of my joining ISB, irrespective of the verdict from the US B-schools. Unless someone makes a tempting scholarship offer, I won’t probably change my mind about ISB.

Despite the fact that it does not enjoy a global reputation yet, my reasons for preferring ISB are simple.

- 15 Lac INR is a much lesser gamble than 60 Lac INR that a top B-School in US would cost.
- That would also mean that I will have the freedom to take up jobs in India or abroad, since I won’t be buried in loans for too many years.
- I will have more creative freedom to take risks in the pursuit of my entrepreneurial ventures, which I would have had to seriously compromise had I joined a US B-school due to the sheer magnitude of the debt that I would have incurred for the education.
- Dr. R can practice her trade if I am in India, but can’t if I move to US. And as a responsible husband, I have to respect my wife’s career as well.
- Finally, ISB is a 1 year program, which makes life so much easier.

A few drawbacks though.

- Placements might not be as great since INR always pales in comparison to USD.
- Due to ISB being a fairly new school, the alumni network is not as strong as some of the other top B-schools.
- Bad publicity from some quarters about ISB being all hype and no substance.

Also, I have noticed a strong resentment among the non-IIM B-schools like SPJMR, XLRI, NMIMS, etc towards ISB. Most of them dismiss ISB as all hype, and too expensive. I can’t dispute the fact that ISB is way too expensive compared to the other Indian B-schools. But again, ISB is supposed to be an international B-school, and therefore, it is priced accordingly. Further, this being a 1-year program, the opportunity costs are that much lesser too.

About the general resentment that other Indian B-schools harbor against ISB, it is probably because these non-IIM schools, despite being extremely good, are still considered a rung below the big 4 IIMs, while ISB, within a few short years, is considered on par, if not higher, than IIMs.
Not surprisingly, many feel that ISB has had it a little too easy.

My take on this:
Kudos to the ISB Marketing team for having done such a fabulous job in creating a massive brand in such a short time.

6 comments:

Kapil Mantri said...

I am also in the similar league. And after thinking for a long and considering various parameters, I am almost inclined for ISB. I am an R2 admit - hope to see you soon :-).

ankur said...

Hey dude...am a current student at ISB. i totally relate to your apprehensions and am glad that you are thinking in the right direction. If you ever need any assistance to help make your decision...or once you have...do let me know. will be more than happy to assist...!

~a

Kiran said...

Kapil: Glad to know I have company in my predicament. But after meeting the Bangalore ISB Admits yesterday, I have decided to send in my acceptance letter today. So no more mulling over US B schools. Hopefully, you'll be able to make the best decision pretty soon. And if that happens to be ISB, we shall definitely meet in Hyderabad:)
All the best,
Kiran

Kiran said...

Ankur: Am really glad to have run into a current ISB student. I sure would like your help to allay those minutest apprehensions, although I have decided to join ISB.
Is there a way to contact you?
Regards,
Kiran

Anonymous said...

Arguably XLRI is in the league of the top 4 IIM's

Unknown said...

Hello Kiran,
I am in the same position as you were some time ago. I have an offer from Cornell and ISB and am trying to figure out the best choice.

I have a background in the Indian IT industry, working for 4+ years and post MBA would want to move into Finance or Consulting. However, I learn that ISB is not ideally suited for career switchers.

Given your experiece, how do you feel abouut your decision now? and what would you advice me

P.S. Please also let me your contact details. I will like to chat with you in detail