Thursday, March 09, 2006

Goodbye or Good Riddance?

Yesterday, I finally resigned formally from the organization that I had given my blood and sweat to for the past 6 and half years.

There was a strange sense of loss even as I was filling in the Separation Form. Having started my career as a junior software engineer, I graduated through the ranks to finally end up where I did. The journey, despite all the shortcomings and the denied opportunities, had its good moments. So many experiences. So many memories. So many changes that my life went through while I was part of this organization.
Surely, IBM will remain very close to my heart.
It wasn't the perfect organization to work for. But then no organization is perfect. The fact that I didn’t ever seriously think about quitting in the past 6 and half years is proof that there was something innately good about working for this organization.

For all the good things about this place, there is one big aspect where this organization is a big letdown. And I am not even talking about salaries here. The moment I told them I cannot be persuaded to stay back, there was a sudden chill in their attitude. Although I asked to be relieved only end of this month, or early next month, the direction from the management was very clear.
GO NOW.

They insisted that I wind up my act at the soonest, and leave. Not just that, they are going to adjust my balance leaves against the notice period that I will not be serving. Sad, considering that although I was willing to serve at least most part of the notice period, the organization has forced me out by end of next week.

Anyways, I can't complain too much since this is strictly business. And they must have several such people to get rid off, and therefore, cannot afford an emotional farewell to every employee who resigns.

At least now, I won’t have the slightest guilt in not naming IBM as one of the companies that I would want to work for post-MBA.

Goodbye.

6 comments:

Chiranth Channappa said...

This is extremely nasty of your management!

Think about it.. won't you carry a grudge against them for the way they've treated you?

Isn't it better for IBM, or anny company for that matter, to let employees leave on a more cordial note?

Kiran said...

Hey Chiranth,
How are you counting the days till April 15th ? :)
About my exit procedure, well, it surely could have been better. But it's true in most companies that when a PM or higher puts in his resignation, they try to relieve him immediately. The notice period usually works only for techies since they will have to do a lot of knowledge transfer etc.
I won't carry any grudge against the organization because IBM is bigger than just a couple of jokers who (mis)managed my case.

Chiranth Channappa said...

Even then, what's the harm in being cordial? Isn't that the equivalent of good manners? I'm waiting to hear what Deepthi has to say about her exit experience - she's from IBM, too.

I'm quitting my company end of this month. Thankfully, no tension here. In fact, my company's Prez & CEO have asked me to join back after I'm done at ISB. Not sure if I'll take it, though.

Maverick said...

Hi Leon, you said it right when you said 'it's just business' about 'org being bigger than the jokers who handled your exit'. But it is business only from the point of view of you being one less in their head count. Given the fact that you have spent all your professional life with them, they ought to acknowledge it some way. The kind of frigidity displayed in your case is reserved for people who leave orgs for other workplaces and not for those pursuing further education and likes of it. But this kind of behaviour is common in bigger organisations like IBM. I have heard stories like these from other biggies like Accenture. I have yet to hear about such stories from Indian MNCs, though it is possible only I have not heard them. And that in no way is a remission to Indian MNCs. I am just trying to say that Indian MNCs might be getting there too. I myself am feeling like a smaller fish by the day in my org.
Godd Luck!

Naynesh Khamar said...

I guess they asked you to leave early only to save your project account some green stuff. Since this is a month where the PBs will be rolling out ...

Kiran said...

Hi Sheetal,
You're taking one huge step with that SP Jain thing, and I guess, the way your bosses treat you once they find out about your plan is almost predictable. But don't let that curb your excitement in any way.I know, from a personal viewpoint, it can be a little disappointing but it just makes it easier for you to not feel nostalgic about it at all. And you move on. To bigger and better opportunities.
Cheers,
Kiran