Monday, August 13, 2007

Ten Things that make me see “RED”

As Independent India is about to turn 60, here is a list of 10 things about our country that I absolutely hate, and desperately wish I could change.

10. People who make an appointment, and then forget about it (Some of us are lousy about our punctuality and professionalism).
9. The Bangalore Auto-rickshaw drivers (everything about them makes me see red)
8. People who park their vehicles in front of garages/street corners/congested lanes with no regard to the inconvenience caused to others.
7. People who argue without even attempting to use their brains.
6. The Right Wing Politicians who forget their basic ideology, and put "Jai Maharashtra" above "Jai Hind".
5. The Congress leaders who claim to love their mothers, and yet, at the slightest opportunity, sell their motherland.
4. Communists who live in India and worship China.
3. The ignorant Islamic Fundamentalists, the ones that are taught in the Madarasas that killing non-believers is their path to salvation.
2. The educated Islamic Fundamentalists, the ones that become Doctors and Engineers in our society, and yet behave like barbarians for their blind faith
1. Islamic Modernists like Javed Akhtar and Shabana Azmi who hijack Prime Time television to complain of “Hindu Fundamentalism” when pro-hindu activists raise a voice against MF Hussain painting Hindu Gods in the nude, but conveniently prefer answering Karan Johar’s irrelevant questions when Muslim Fundamentalists openly attack Taslima Nasreen for exercising her freedom of expression, and even issue a Fatwa against her.

After giving it a lot of thought, I resign to the fact that none of these will change in my lifetime. And maybe my future generations will see not only "RED" but also a lot of "GREEN", thanks to our two friendly neighbours. And so I go back to seeking solace in the cliched "Mera Bharat Mahan".

Somethings about us are simply impossible to change. Nevertheless, "Phir bhi dil hai Hindustani".

2 comments:

kelly alamanou said...

i can undersand what you are saying.
There are many things that i hate in my country too (I am a greek lady).
but believe me there will be a time that a light of INDIA will be like the light of the sun for the Humanity.
I love your country.
I Know also that is not easy to live there.

Kiran said...

@Rodoula-kelly: Nice to see a non-Indian showing genuine concern for India. It's a shame that a lot of us Indians dont show enough concern though. I haven't been to Greece, and so wouldnt know if the situations are similar. But thanks for saying some really nice things about India.